Wednesday 17 February 2010

Thing 6

I had a look for vaguely libraryish sites to add to my RSS reader. I found a couple of well-known ones, the web 2.0 blog run by Phil Bradley and iLibrarian, but I also came across an aggregate page that puts lots of feeds from other places into one webpage, all with a library news theme. It's called The Library News, and I was astonished when I clicked on the 'share button', and then +more, to see just how many tools there are on the web for sharing bookmarks. Literally hundreds. How can social networking be of use if everyone's using a different network?

2 comments:

  1. I think you're absolutely right to an extent with what you say here Kathryn. The key thing for me is to go to the network(s) that most of your colleagues or friends are using, be that Twitter, Ning, Facebook or what have you. Second point is that some resources do try and aggregate that content - Buzz is an example of an application that has the potential to draw information together in one place.

    However, I'd also suggest sensible use of RSS searches, Google Alerts, subscriptions to key bloggers and so on, and create your own network of resources, which is where you start your research into what's going on out there. Information should come to you, you shouldn't need to go out and chase it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've just demonstrated information coming to you in quite remarkable fashion!

    ReplyDelete